A suspected armed robbery attack has caused the death of a Higher National Diploma student, Sekinat Ahmed in the Department of Marketing of ICT Polytechnic, Itori, Ewekoro local government area of Ogun State
Penpushing reports that the overnight attack by suspected armed robbers occurred on Eruku Community, where many students reside, and following the sad development students of the institution in protest on Tuesday blocked the Abeokuta-Lagos Expressway.
The protest, caused heavy traffic congestion along the busy highway, while videos of the demonstration were circulated on social media with the students demanding for improved security around the institution.
Penpushing further reports that Rector of the Polytechnic, Dr Goke Rafiu, confirmed the incident lamenting that the robbers invaded about 15 houses in the community in the early hours of Tuesday, killing one student and injuring three others.
“What happened was that some armed robbers raided about 15 houses in Eruku where some of our students are living. The community is actually behind the school, and during the attack, one of the students was killed while about three others were injured,” he said.
Penpushing also reports that Rafiu explained that one of the injured students had been taken to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Idi-Aba, Abeokuta, for treatment as at the time of filing this report.
“We are currently in the community with police officers and members of the institution’s management team, including the Chairman of the Governing Council, Ambassador Toye Okanlawon, to chart the way forward,” he added.
Penpushing reports that he told journalists that the institution’s management had appealed to the protesting students to remain calm while the government, security agencies and community leaders worked to improve security in the area.
The Chairman of the Timetable, Examination and Academic Calendar Committee, Gideon Adekunle, said following the sad incident, the polytechnic management has postponed examinations scheduled for Tuesday, July 28, and Wednesday, July 29, 2026,
Penpushing further reports that Adekunle in a statement explained that the decision was taken to honour the deceased student and allow affected students time to recover emotionally.
“Following the unfortunate incident that resulted in the loss of a student and injuries to others during a robbery attack in Eruku, the examinations scheduled for Tuesday, July 28, and Wednesday, July 29, have been postponed, he wrote
“This is to ensure students in the affected area regain their composure and mental stability, and most importantly, to honour the deceased. Examinations will resume on Friday, July 30, 2026, as scheduled. A new timetable for the postponed examinations will be communicated in due course’, Adekunle added
Penpushing also reports that the Students’ Union Government (SUG) President, Comrade Owoigbe Blessin, who equally confirmed the incident said the armed robbers struck around midnight.
“One final-year HND II student was killed, another female student was injured after her ear was severed, while another student who was shot has been rushed to the Federal Medical Centre,” she said.
The students leader called on the Ogun State Government to strengthen security around the institution, lamenting that similar attacks had occurred repeatedly in the Eruku community.
“There is no adequate security. If there was, this would not have happened. This is not the first, second or even third time such an incident has occurred in Eruku,” she said.
Penpushing reports that the Chairman of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NAPS) in Ogun State, Comrade Olabode Faruq Success, frowned at the attack and pointed out the rising insecurity around tertiary institutions in the state and called for urgent intervention to protect students, calling for a thorough investigation and improved security for students.
The statement issued on Tuesday and signed by the association General Secretary, Musbau Mubarak, described the incident as unfortunate and barbaric, emphasizing that the body was awaiting the outcome of investigations by the relevant authorities
“The National Association of Polytechnic Students (NAPS), Southwest Zone, strongly condemns this unfortunate and barbaric act. No student should have to live in fear or lose their life while pursuing education. The protection of students remains a fundamental responsibility of government, security agencies and institutional authorities,” the statement read.
Penpushing further reports that the association equally expressed concern over reports that security personnel allegedly responded late to the incident, in view of the emergency nature of the incident
“We are equally disturbed by reports alleging a delayed response from security personnel despite the emergency nature of the incident. If these reports are confirmed, such delay would represent a grave failure in the duty to safeguard lives. Prompt emergency response is essential and must never be compromised,” it stated.
Penpushing also reports that the association called on Police, Ogun State Government, management of ICT Polytechnic and other relevant authorities to conduct a thorough, transparent and impartial investigation into the incident.
The students’ body in same vein, demanded the immediate arrest and prosecution of those responsible, improved security within and around tertiary institutions across Ogun State, strengthened emergency response systems, and closer collaboration between school management, security agencies, host communities and student leaders.
“The continuous rise in security threats facing students is unacceptable. Educational institutions must remain safe environments where students can pursue academic excellence without fear of violence or criminal attacks’, the students emphasised
Penpushing further reports that the association extended its condolences to the family of the deceased, the management, staff and students of ICT Polytechnic, Itori, and wished the injured a speedy recovery.
The body reaffirmed its commitment to protecting the welfare, safety and rights of polytechnic students, declaring, “Justice for Ahmed Sekinat. Student Lives Matter. Safe Campuses Are Non-Negotiable.”
Penpushing also reports that as at the time of filing this report Ogun State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Oluseyi Babaseyi, was yet to issue any statement on the development.
FOOTNOTE: You want to share story with us? You want to advertise with us? You need publicity for product, or service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348073463653 or email penpushing@yahoo.com










